Chicken Almond Rice with Red and Green Peppers
- 1 chicken, about 3-1/2 pounds, cut-up
- White pepper
- 1 cup Blue Diamond® Blanched Slivered Almonds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half crosswise and then into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in half crosswise and then into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Pinch cinnamon
Season chicken pieces with salt and white pepper; reserve. In a large ovenproof skillet, sauté almonds in 1 tablespoon oil until golden; remove and reserve. Sauté chicken in remaining 2 tablespoons oil until browned on both sides; remove and reserve. In oil remaining in pan, sauté onion, red and green bell pepper, and garlic until onion is translucent. Add rice and sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, chicken broth, raisins, cinnamon, and 1½ teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F on lowest rack in oven for 15 minutes. Arrange chicken pieces on top. Continue baking 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and sprinkle almonds on top. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.